We're here to help mentors get involved!
This page is designed to help RTP mentors find resources to enhance their educational and professional experiences, while attending college. There are many programs, corporations, and government agencies which offer support opportunities to help mentors be successful in all their endeavors. RTP mentor projects, internships, co-op programs and scholarships are all available to mentors looking for opportunities and experience while attending college.
If you have questions about any of these resources or would like to know how to get involved please contact us.
RTP Mentor Handbook
The purpose of the Reaching the Pinnacle mentor handbook is to serve as a map to guide participants on the road to becoming a successful RTP mentor. This handbook provides comprehensive information on mentoring with tips, suggestions, and examples to aid participants during your mentoring process. Whether you are a mentor-to-be who stands at the crossroads of mentoring or an experienced mentor who is miles down the road, this guide contains valuable information to assist you on your journey. It is recommended that participants read all sections of the handbook at least once. Once participants have read the material, be sure to review it periodically and refer to the handbook whenever necessary.
This handbook will teach participants what it means to be a Reaching the Pinnacle mentor, the roles and responsibilities of a mentor, and different styles that participants may adopt in order to meet the challenges faced during the mentoring process. This handbook charts the mentor-mentee relationship from beginning to end, starting with the skills needed to identify areas a mentee may need development, establishing a mentor relationship, and avoiding obstacles that may detour this relationship. This handbook also outlines the positive effects of mentoring and the experiences and relationships that are shared by the mentor, mentee, and Reaching the Pinnacle.
Specific Disability Related Scholarships and Awards
- Lime Scholarship Google & Lime
- Paul G. Hearne Leadership Award (800)-840-8844
- Undergraduate Scholarship Program Central Intelligence Agency
- Hard of Hearing and Deaf Scholarship Sertoma International (816)-333-8300
- ACB Scholarship American Council of the Blind (202)-467-5081 http://www.acb.org/
- AFB Scholarships American Foundation for the Blind (800)-232-5463 http://www.afb.org/scholarships.asp
- CCLVI Scholarships Council of Citizens with Low Vision International (800)-733-2258 http://www.cclvi.org/
- CRS Scholarship Christian Record Services for the Blind (402)-488-0981 http://services.christianrecord.org/scholarships/index.php
- Guild Scholar Award Jewish Guild for the Blind (212)-769-7801 http://www.jgb.org/guildscholar.asp
- Lighthouse Scholarships Lighthouse International (212 0-821-9428
- Mary P. Oenslager Scholastic Achievement Award Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (609)-452-0606 http://www.rfbd.org/applications_awards.htm
- NFB Scholarships National Federation of the Blind (404)-371-1000 http://www.nfb.org/nfb/scholarship_program.asp
- 1800Wheelchair.com (800)-320-7140 http://www.1800wheelchair.com/Scholarship/
- AmeriGlide Achiever Scholarship AmeriGlide (800)-790-1635 http://www.ameriglide.com/scholarship/
- National Chair Scholars Scholarship ChairScholars Foundation (813)-920-1981 http://www.chairscholars.org/nationalprogram.htm
- National MS Society Scholarship Program National Multiple Sclerosis Society (800)-344-4867 http://www.nationalmssociety.org/living-with-multiple-sclerosis/society-programs-and-services/scholarship/index.aspx
- SBA Scholarship Program Spina Bifida Association of America (202)-944-3285 ext. 23 http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/
- HFA Educational Scholarship Hemophilia Federation of America (800)-230-9797 http://hemophiliafed.org/ programs-and-services/educational-scholarships/
- Kevin Child Scholarship National Hemophilia Foundation (800)-424-2634 ext. 3700 http://www.hemophilia.org/NHFWeb/MainPgs/MainNHF.aspx?menuid=53contentid=35
- Anne & Matt Harbison Scholarship P. Buckley Moss Society (540)-943-5678 http://www.mosssociety.org/page.php?id=30
- Learning Through Listening Award Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (609)-452-0606 http://www.rfbd.org/applications_awards.htm
- Hydrocephalus Association (415)-732-7040 http://www.hydroassoc.org/education_support/scholarships
ENTRY POINT! is a program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) offering outstanding internship opportunities for students with apparent and non-apparent disabilities in science, engineering, mathematics, computer science, and some fields of business. To meet the challenge of the competitive global economy in the new millennium, private industry and government research agencies must expand the pool of technical talent. Entry Point! has been offering internships to students with disabilities for over ten years. Visit the Entry Point! application page, to apply.
Internship links from "DO-IT"
Action Without Borders (focus on non-profit organizations and activism) - http://www.idealist.org/
- City Year Seattle/King County - http://www.cityyear.org/joinus/joincorps.html
- Cool Works - http://www.coolworks.com/internships.htm
- Job-hunt.org - http://www.job-hunt.org/interns.shtml
- Volunteer Resources http://www.volunteermatch.org/
- Rising Star Internships - http://www.rsinternships.com/rshome.htm
Here is a list of employers in STEM fields who attended the NMSU Spring 2011 Career Connections Fair. Please visit NMSU Career Services for more employment information.
Check back periodically as we are constantly updating our employers list.
- Arizona Public Service
- Baker Concrete Construction
- Exponential Engineering Company
- EXXONMOBIL Corporation
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold
- Freese and Nichols Inc
- General Dynamics C4 Systems
- Granite Construction Company
- Hensel Phelps Construction
- Hewlett Packard
- J.D. Abrams, Inc.
- Johnson and Johnson
- Lockheed Martin
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- Nestle USA Inc.
- Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard & IMF
- Raytheon Company
- Southwestern Company
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Department of Transportation
- TIC-The Industrial Company
- University of Phoenix
- URS Corporation - Las Vegas, NV
- US Central Intelligence Agency
- US Coast Guard
- US Drug Enforcement Administration
- US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- US Forest Service - Region 6
- USA Electronic Proving Ground
- Vanguard Group (The)
"This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Continuing Grant No. HRD 0622930."
"Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation."